Going to college or university is an exciting time in a student’s life, but it can also be challenging. One of the biggest challenges is staying healthy while living in a dorm or off-campus housing. Here are some tips to help students stay healthy:
- Make healthy food choices: Eating a balanced and nutritious diet is essential for good health. While relying on fast food or takeout is tempting, try to prepare your meals at home using fresh ingredients. You can also take advantage of the meal plans offered by your school, which often have healthy options available.
- Get enough sleep: Getting enough sleep is crucial for academic success and overall health. Aim for at least seven to eight hours of sleep each night. If you have trouble sleeping in a noisy dorm, consider using earplugs or a white noise machine.
- Stay active: Regular physical activity is vital for maintaining good health. Join a campus sports team, take a fitness class, or jog around campus. You can also walk or bike to class instead of taking the bus or driving.
- Practice good hygiene: Germs can spread quickly in a dorm or shared living space. Wash your hands frequently, cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze, and avoid sharing personal items like towels or utensils.
- Manage stress: College can be stressful, so finding healthy ways to manage stress is essential. Try meditation, yoga, or deep breathing exercises to help you relax.
If you’re a student at the University of Toronto St. George campus, SanoMed Clinic is conveniently located near campus. You can use your University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) to access our walk-in clinic or even get a family doctor. Our team of healthcare professionals is dedicated to helping you stay healthy and succeed in academic pursuits. Make an appointment today, and let us help you achieve your health goals.